You should inform your Fostering Social Worker if you have any serious concerns or come across any wrong doings whilst you are a foster carer working with Kent County Council.

If the concern is about your Fostering Social Worker, you should speak to a manager within the fostering service.

If you have concerns relating to another foster carer you should raise this with your Fostering Social Worker.

The decision to report a concern can be a difficult one to make, not least because of the fear of reprisal. Harassment, bullying or victimisation of a “Whistleblower” will not be tolerated.

You should raise concerns confidentially or openly and without fear of any comeback.

You should record your concerns giving names, dates and places where possible, and the reason why you are concerned. If you do not feel able to do this, the member of staff you speak to will make a written record of their conversation. Concern should be expressed as soon as possible.

The concern could be about something that:

  • Is unlawful or illegal; or
  • Is a miscarriage of justice; or
  • Against the organisations policies;
  • Falls below established standards or practice; or
  • Amounts to improper conduct; or
  • Endangers the health and safety of any person; or
  • Attempts to conceal any of the above.

The issue will be looked into and either an internal enquiry of formal investigation will take place. You will be informed of the outcome. If you are not happy with the outcome, you can raise this with Customer Service Section who deals with complaints.

If you raise concerns which are found to be malicious, a review of you approval may happen.

Concerns which come under another procedure e.g. Child Protection will normally be referred and dealt with under the Kent and Medway Safeguarding Children Partnership Procedures.